Filey Lions Club
In 2014 Filey Lions Club celebrated its Golden Jubilee, the club being formed on the 4th June 1964 with 17 members. Filey Lions Club being the 101st club in the United Kingdom. The club now has 28 members and serves Filey, Hunmanby, Muston, Reighton, Speeton, Flixton, Folkton, Gristhorpe and Lebberston.
The club also presented to the town a fountain which is situated in the memorial gardens to celebrate it’s Silver Jubilee.
The club runs many fundraising activities each year which are all used to help others, all of monies raised going to help needy individuals, youngsters, groups, clubs and organisations in our area, as well as helping other local charities and national and international good causes, with no money raised or donated going towards administration of running the club, this is paid for by members themselves.
Fundraising activities over the years included the ever popular Christmas sleigh visits, Donkey Derby, Ball Race,10Km Run, Golf Day and assistance at the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride that finishes in Filey each year.
Some of our Major Projects our club has carried out over the years include
- Conversion of cottages in Queen Street to provide a local museum
- Provision of an Inshore Lifeboat named “Filey Lion”
- Major contributions to St Catherine’s Hospice and Scarborough Hospital
- Provided Seats, Flower beds and tubs, Bulb and Tree planting
- Purchase and provision of a club minibus with members as drivers to help youth groups, schools and the elderly go to events.
- Provision of a chalet –now a caravan in Filey to give needy people a holiday.
- Donated substantial amounts to help out at disasters both in the UK and Internationally.
Some items/Events we provide for local people throughout the year include
- Provide for the Town with a Community Bonfire Night and Firework Display with Fireworks costing some £4,000.
- Two outings a year for our residents with Learning Disabilities
- Provision of a Christmas Lunch and entertainment for all over 85’s resident in their own homes at Filey School with Lions and their Ladies doing all the catering and setting up for the event, as well as providing all the transport, all in partnership with the students from the school who serve the meals.
- Provide hospital visiting transport on Monday, Wednesday and Friday’s to Scarborough and Bridlington Hospitals.
- Carry out grass cutting at St Oswald’s Church every 2 weeks.
In 2012 we were very pleased to receive in the Will of the late Lucy Cheadle a bequest for over £50,000, in January 2013 we wrote out to some 70 organisations in our area asking them to make bids for a grant from this bequest, the club received requests from half of the organisations written to and in September 2013 we were able give out grants totalling some £23,000 ranging from £75 to £2,500. The club would be very happy to receive further requests.
As part of our Golden Jubilee Celebrations we have provided the town with a sculptured Lion on the sea front, a flower bed including a locomotive adjacent to the railway station and Community Garden Parties in both Filey and Hunmanby.
If you feel Filey Lions Club can help you or your organisation please do not hesitate to contact us and help us live up to our motto of “We Serve.”
For more information please visit our website.