District Diabetes Awareness Officer
- To promote and encourage participation in the Diabetes Programmes of Lions Clubs International; to provide advice and guidance to Clubs wishing to undertake diabetes related projects
- To become familiar with the LCI diabetes programmes and to acquire knowledge ‘in layman’s terms’ of the causes, symptoms and relief of the effects of diabetes.
- To fully understand (via the MD Diabetes Officer) the constraints (e.g. on offering unqualified medical advice) that may constrain Clubs in running diabetes promotions – and to proactively ensure Clubs running such promotions are made fully aware.
- To offer general advice and guidance to Clubs wishing to get involved in promoting diabetes awareness projects in their area. To encourage Clubs to appoint their own Diabetes officers.
- To provide information on, and encourage Club’s support for projects recommended by MD105 and LCI’s own Diabetes related projects.
- To encourage Clubs to consult with their Area Health Authorities on how they can co-operate with them in raising awareness of diabetes and the treatments available.
- Through membership of the Health and Disabilities team, to liaise with other District officers to identify any links to diabetes awareness promotion, including Message in a Bottle, Medic Alert and Lions Sight Project (e.g. Lions Eye Health Programme).
- Similarly, to liaise with the District Medic Alert Officer on the promotion of Medic Alert membership for diabetics.
- To liaise with the Multiple District Diabetes Officer.
- Working to the District Strategic Plan develops a pragmatic (but specific) action plan for the year.
- To submit progress reports to Cabinet and Convention. To attend convention. To attend cabinet, when invited to do so by the DG, and, if possible, to attend any other meetings necessary for performance of the above duties.